Holly: June 2010 Archives
And packing is part of the delicious vacation anticipation. Add to that the possibility of making a shiny new travel wardrobe and... well, I nearly faint with the excitement.
Our free pattern download from hotpatterns.com for the Peachy Beachy Cover Up made for a perfect addition to my on-the-go ensemble. The only time I ever swim is when I'm on vacation, so this is a "make it to take it" project for me!
We had some really cute Hello Kitty knit in stock at the time I first got my hands on the download, and I was instantly inspired - I love me some Hello Kitty!
This pattern makes for a really quick and easy project. A few items of note:
- The casing for the ribbon tie is stitched into the seam that joins the skirt section to the bodice, which is handy and quick.
- I trimmed my neck facing to be quite narrow, because I was concerned about the knit getting too bulky.
- While the knit fabric makes this a super comfy item for beach or pool wear, I think it is probably a less flattering choice than a lighter weight, more fluttery fabric.
- The plunge at the neckline is quite deep, especially for us short folks. It's totally fine for over a bathing suit, but if you wanted to adapt this pattern as a day wear tunic, you might want to alter the front a bit.
- The adorable cat pictured will not magically appear when your garment is complete.
My new cover up is already packed and headed on its first adventure!
I know several other staffers have plans for this pattern - it will be really cool to see how we all interpret the design and make it our own.