Chef Bubba celebrates the Fourth of July!
Mes amis, grilling out and the 4th of July go hand-in-hand to me. What better place to view fireworks than your patio after a fabulous meal. I can help with the meal but you will need to provide your own fireworks! For me, it is spare ribs. Throw in some corn-on-the-cob, potato salad and baked beans, you are in for some fine eating!
Prep: 30 min.; Chill: 8 hr.; Stand: 40 min.; Grill: 2 hr., 30 min. My directions are for a two-burner gas grill. If you have a three-burner grill, light both sides, and leave the center portion off. ( I also prepare these in an oven sometimes.)
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 slabs baby back pork ribs (about 5 1/2 lb.)
- 2 limes, halved
- Sweet Hot Barbecue Sauce
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Rinse and pat ribs dry. If desired, remove thin membrane from back of ribs by slicing into it with a knife and then pulling it off. (This will make ribs more tender.)
3. Rub ribs with cut sides of limes, squeezing as you rub. Massage ginger mixture into meat, covering all sides. Wrap ribs tightly with plastic wrap, and place in zip-top plastic freezer bags or a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; seal or cover, and chill 8 hours. Let ribs stand at room temperature 30 minutes before grilling. Remove plastic wrap.
4. Light 1 side of grill, heating to medium-high heat (350° to 400°); leave other side unlit. Place rib slabs over unlit side, stacking 1 on top of the other.
5. Grill, covered with grill lid, 40 minutes. Reposition rib slabs, moving bottom slab to the top, and grill 40 minutes. Reposition 1 more time, moving bottom slab to the top; grill 40 minutes.
6. Lower grill temperature to medium heat (300° to 350°); unstack rib slabs, and place side by side over unlit side of grill. Cook ribs 30 more minutes, basting with half of Sweet-Hot Barbecue Sauce. Remove ribs from grill, and let stand 10 minutes. Cut ribs, slicing between bones. Serve ribs with remaining Sweet-Hot Barbecue Sauce.
Prep: 30 min.; Chill: 8 hr.; Stand: 40 min.; Grill: 2 hr., 30 min. My directions are for a two-burner gas grill. If you have a three-burner grill, light both sides, and leave the center portion off.
This is the barbecue sauce for the ribs.
SWEET-HOT Barbecue Sauce:
Prep: 10 min., Cook: 35 min.
Makes 4 cups
- 2 (10-oz.) bottles sweet chili sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
1. Combine sweet chili sauce and remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Have a Happy Fourth of July from Fabric.com!